This 18th century cemetery was closed by the Nazis in 1941, and its contents were almost entirely destroyed. In the first years after the war, the cemetery was partly restored at the urging of a handful of Jewish survivors from Oświęcim who had returned briefly to their hometown.
About 1,000 tombstones (Hebrew: matzevot) with Hebrew, German, Polish and Yiddish inscriptions survived to this day. The last person to be buried here is Szymon Kluger (1925-2000).
Today, several local and international groups help clean up the space within the framework of the museum’s educational projects.
Visiting the cemetery is possible upon prior online reservation and collecting the key from our staff.
DownloadsList of tombstones (.pdf)
Oshpitzin Jewish Museum
Pl. Ks. J. Skarbka 5
T: +48 512 010 199
T: +48 573 086 436
Tue 11 am - 6 pm
Wed 11 am - 6 pm
Thu 11 am - 6 pm
Fri 11 am - 6 pm
Sat 11 am - 6 pm
Sun 11 am - 6 pm
The museum is closed on Jewish holidays